Types Of Employment-Based Visas

Solomon O. Kanu

There are many different paths to United States immigration. Many people who are interested in U.S. immigration apply for a green card on the basis of employment. Your immigration lawyer can help you determine which type of employment-based visa is right for your situation. If you are an exemplary professor or researcher, you might apply for an EB-1 visa, which is for priority workers. This visa is also ideal for individuals who have demonstrated extraordinary ability in certain fields, such as the arts, sciences, athletics, and business.

If you are a professional with an advanced degree, you might apply for an EB-2 visa. Your immigrant lawyer may also advise you to apply for this type of visa if you are a physician who plans to serve patients in an area of the U.S. that lacks sufficient doctors. The EB-3 visa is for skilled or professional workers, who are defined as being professionals with bachelor’s degrees or skilled workers. The fourth employment-based visa category, EB-4, is designated for special immigrants, including religious workers. This type of visa is also intended for individuals who have worked for the U.S. government.