Phoenix Asylum Lawyer
Protecting the Human Rights of Refugees
People seek asylum in the United States for a variety of reasons. Whether it’s fleeing their homeland due to a violent war or because of persecution, asylum issues can be complicated. Asylum matters involve both international and domestic laws, and when incorrectly managed can lead to deportation.
If you believe returning to your home country is no longer a safe option, Kanu & Associates is ready to help you. We can assist you with pursing asylum and temporary protected status in the United States. With more than 20 years of experience, our lawyer has helped countless of clients reach their immigration goals. We are confident that he can do the same for you.
If you are seeking asylum in the United States, don’t face this process alone. Enlist in the help of our trusted lawyers to guide you through your asylum case. Call (602) 353-7795 today to get started with a consultaton!
Qualifying for Asylum
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) defines an asylum seeker as:
“A person outside of their country of nationality and not within the United States or at the borders of the U.S., who is unable or unwilling to return to that country due to persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution on account of race, religion, nationality, political affiliation.”
The following are details for each qualifying sub-category for asylum seekers:
- Membership of a specific group – A group which shares a common and enduring characteristic, such as race or sexual orientation
- Religion – An asylum claim can be based on the fear of being persecuted due to religion by demonstrating that an individual must conceal their religious practices for fear of repercussions
- Nationality – Includes both citizenship to another country and membership in an ethnic or linguistic group
- Political affiliation – Based on the political opinion of either the non-citizen or the persecutor
Seeking asylum is legal, even during the current COVID-19 pandemic. Those in the country illegally may apply for asylum as well, as long as they apply within the proper timeframe.
How to File for Asylum
Asylum seekers must either be in the U.S. or at a port of entry to apply for asylum. Applying for asylum is free. You may include your spouse and children within your application.
The filing process for asylum includes the following steps:
- Filing Form I-589 (Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal) within one year of arriving in the U.S.
- Undergoing a background security check
- Getting your fingerprints recorded
- Being interviewed by a USCIS officer within 45 days
This interview process will be the final step in determining whether you are lawfully welcomed into the United States under asylum. Those who previously applied for asylum and were denied by the Board of Immigration may be barred from applying once more. You may also be denied if there are any criminal activities you are a perpetrator of.
If you have been granted asylum, you can apply for a green card after one year.
Why Choose Kanu & Associates, P.C. for Your Asylum Case?
When it comes to protecting your human rights and seeking asylum, you need an experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorney by your side. At Kanu & Associates, P.C., we are dedicated to helping refugees in Phoenix, AZ navigate the complex asylum process and achieve a successful outcome.
Here are some reasons why you should choose our firm:
- Expertise: Our team of asylum lawyers has extensive experience in handling asylum cases. We are well-versed in the intricacies of immigration law and stay up-to-date with the latest changes and developments.
- Personalized Approach: We understand that every asylum case is unique, and we take the time to understand your specific circumstances. Our attorneys provide personalized attention and tailor our strategies to meet your individual needs.
- Compassionate Advocacy: We are passionate about protecting the human rights of refugees. Our attorneys are empathetic, understanding, and committed to providing compassionate advocacy throughout the asylum process.
- Strong Track Record: Over the years, we have helped numerous individuals and families successfully obtain asylum in the United States. Our track record of success speaks to our dedication and expertise in this area of law.
- Clear Communication: We believe in open and transparent communication with our clients. Our attorneys will keep you informed about the progress of your case, explain the legal processes involved, and address any questions or concerns you may have.
Don't navigate the asylum process alone. Trust Kanu & Associates, P.C. to provide you with the experienced assistance you need to apply for asylum and protect your human rights.
Call (602) 353-7795 For Experienced Assistance With Applying for Asylum
When you feel you have nowhere left to turn, we want to be there for you until your case is resolved. Do not hesitate to let our experienced and skilled Phoenix asylum attorneys of Kanu & Associates, P.C. work tirelessly on your behalf. We will do everything possible to protect your human rights and your freedom as best as we possibly can.