Part 1: The 10 Myths of U.S. Immigration Law

You’re about to discover the little-known strategies that can save you from needless heartaches and protect your future.

If you are an immigrant, a friend or family member of an immigrant who needs our services, it’s likely you are frightened, unsure or worried about your future and concerned about money. There is a lot of misinformation out there from well-meaning family, friends and online searches. Rather than grope in the dark, I want you to know that we are here to help you get clear about your options.

Let’s take a look at the common myths about immigration law and lawyers, and how we can help.

Myth #1: I Am Charged With Being Deportable. There’s No One Who Can Help Me. I Might As Well Give In

This is not true. An Immigration Attorney who has experience in deportation defense can help out a lot. He or she can argue your case to the Immigration Judge and stop the deportation and even then help you become a lawful permanent resident.

He or she can request bond or be able to lower the bond amount for you making it easier for you to be home with family and working while the case is going on.

With the help of an attorney, you may even be released on your own recognizance until your case is heard in Immigration Court.

Sometimes the government is not prepared well to prove that the Respondent, that’s you, your friend or family member, is removable by clear, convincing and unequivocal evidence.

The only way to tell is for someone to hear your story and help you know your choices. Are you eligible for relief from removal? You may well be.

MYTH#2: I Should Only Share Minimal Details With My Attorney If I Hire One Because He Or She Could Turn Me In

This is one of those myths that just isn’t true. When you are seeking help to solve your immigration problems, it can be frightening. What’s more is that well-meaning friends and family all have lots of advice. Sometimes they use their case or other person’s to generalize on yours. Their advice most times isn’t accurate and COULD actually hurt you and your case.

If you have been told this before, I urge you to get the CORRECT advice from a qualified, experienced immigration attorney. Your attorney is trying to help you. He or she does NOT work for the Immigration Service. He or she is NOT going to turn you in even if you tell him that your stay in the US is not legal. His or her job is to keep you here and protect your interest.

Lying to your attorney is like cheating yourself in a game. You are only hurting yourself.

This is not the time to withhold information. Reveal everything you can about your situation—good and bad— and answer the questions fully so they can have all the information to help you.

MYTH #3: My Fiancé Lives In Mexico, Canada, Kenya Or China. She Won’t Be Able To Join Me Legally Until After Our Wedding

You’re getting married! It’s a joyous time of planning and excitement--except for the fact you believe your fiancé is unable to legally join you in the planning months before your wedding.

Not true.

We can help you with a special visa for betrothed couples.

Particularly in this day of internet dating, including global match-ups, many, many Americans become engaged to foreign nationals. And, naturally, they want to be together in the US as they prepare for their wedding.

You need to obtain a K-1 visa that will give your foreign fiancé a chance to be with you as you prepare for your nuptials.

The K-1 visa also allows your fiancé to return to his/her home country should something go wrong. It also allows you, the American citizen, to spend quality time with your fiancé here in the US before you say I do. If he/she is not the right person, then they get to go back.

MYTH #4: Even Though One Of My Parents Is A US Citizen, Because I Was Born Abroad I Still Have To File For Citizenship As An Immigrant

Many people who have one parent who is a US citizen may be unaware that they have a claim to US Citizenship based on their parents.

That’s right, if this is you, you can take a different route toward citizenship.

A person born outside the US to a US citizen parent or parents, may have already derived citizenship and may be eligible to obtain a Certificate to show documented proof of his US Citizen status.

Our Law firm can help you to assemble and file an application of citizenship (Form N-600) with the USCIS based on biological, adoptive or naturalized US Citizen parents.

If you are in need of a qualified immigration attorney call our office today to set up a consultation.

Related Posts
  • Answers to Green Card FAQs Read More
  • Biden Reverses Trump-Era Freeze on Green Cards Read More
  • President Biden Aims to Help Dreamers Read More