Man and Woman Waiting For Airplane

There are many different categories of immigrant visas and it can be confusing to determine which visa you should apply for. A Phoenix immigration lawyer can review your situation and offer recommendations. Depending on your reason for entering the U.S., you may apply for a visa designed for business travelers, temporary workers, or tourists. Or, you may seek an employment-based visa. Once you’ve chosen the right category of visa for you, your immigration lawyer can help you submit the paperwork and documentation properly.

Business Travelers

If you need to travel to the U.S. for business-related purposes, you should apply for a B-1 visa. The B-1 visa is appropriate for you if you need to consult with business associates in the U.S., settle an estate, or negotiate a contract. It is also appropriate for those who need to attend a scientific, professional, business, or athletic conference or convention. Consult an immigration lawyer to be sure that you qualify for this type of visa, as there are very strict requirements. For example, many types of business travelers are not allowed to receive any income or salary from a U.S. business while in the U.S. on a business visa.

Temporary Workers

There are a range of visa categories for those who wish to travel temporarily to the U.S. to work there. For example, if you intend to work within a specialty occupation, you’ll need to obtain an H-1B visa. If you wish to perform temporary or seasonal agricultural work, you’ll apply for an H-2A visa. U.S. immigration is also available to those who wish to obtain special or practical training in the U.S. For these individuals, the H-3 trainee or special education visa covers training other than graduate academic or medical training. It also covers practical training programs for educating children with disabilities.


Many individuals who wish to enter the U.S. are eligible to apply for the B-2 visa, which covers U.S. entry for tourism purposes. You may apply for this visa if you intend to visit with family or friends, take a vacation in the U.S., participate in certain social events, or obtain medical treatment in the U.S. You can also apply for the B-2 visa if you intend to participate in an amateur event or contest, provided you are not compensated for your participation.

Related Posts
  • Answers to Green Card FAQs Read More
  • Biden Reverses Trump-Era Freeze on Green Cards Read More
  • President Biden Aims to Help Dreamers Read More