Political asylum is the protection granted by a nation to someone who has left their native country as a refugee. In doing so, the hosting nation offers shelter and support to those who need it most. If you are frightened to live in your country for various reasons, including religious or political persecution, you can request asylum in the United States. However, the eligibility regulations for asylum are quite strict and this privilege is not granted as easily as many people believe.
The following makes you eligible for asylum in the United States:
- You must be facing life-threatening persecution in your home country for any of the following: religion, political party, sexual orientation, membership to a particular social group, etc.
- You must already be in the United States, or request it upon arrival at the airport, seaport, or border crossing.
- You must apply within 1 year of your last arrival to the U.S., and if you are unable to do so, you must provide direct evidence showing what prevented you from doing so.
- You cannot apply if you were once denied by the Immigration Judge or Board of Immigration Appeals, uncles you once more show proof of changed circumstances.
- If you cannot be removed to a safe, third country, such as Canada.
Contact Our Phoenix Immigration Attorneys Today
Do you feel as though you are eligible for asylum in the United States and aren’t sure of your options in obtaining it? Our Phoenix immigration attorneys of Kanu & Associates, P.C. can help advise you on your best course of action, depending on your particular scenario. We are dedicated to helping immigrants lawfully come to and remain in this country, and political asylum is a valid way to do so. If you are interested in requesting asylum in the United States, we want to help.
Are you interested in speaking to a representative of our firm? Call (602) 353-7795 today.