Skip to Content

How Long Can I Stay in the U.S. on a Visitor Visa?


If you have been granted a visitor visa for the United States, you may be wondering how long you are legally allowed to stay in this country. Visitor visas are generally for those who need to stay in the United States for an extended period of time but will eventually be returning to their home country. There are two kinds of visitor visas: B1 and B2 Visas, for business or pleasure, and J Visas, for exchange visitors.

If you are a B1 or B2 visa holder for business or pleasure, you can stay no longer than a year--this usually results in a maximum stay of 6 months. Once you have reached the 6-month mark, you can apply for an extension of your stay in 6-month increments, but only if your reason for doing so is legitimate and remains consistent with the terms and conditions of your initial status.

People who are J Visa holders are research scholars, professors, and exchange visitors who are allotted to stay in the country for cultural exchange purposes. The purpose of these kinds of visas is to encourage medical or business training within the United States, and the maximum stay is 5 years for J-1 scholars--though no longer than 6 months is permitted for short-term scholars.

Contact Our Phoenix Immigration Attorneys Today

At Kanu & Associates, P.C., we want to help you live your best life in the country you so choose to. In doing so, our Phoenix immigration attorneys feel as though we are upholding an unparalleled standard of excellence. Our legal team will apply all of our time, energy, and resources into ensuring you and your family are taken care--no matter the challenges or complexities of your particular situation.

If you need help obtaining a visitor visa, we at Kanu & Associates, P.C. can help. Don’t hesitate to contact us by calling (602) 353-7795.